How to Drink Enough Water Each Day to Improve Your Health
Water is the most underrated drink and I get it. It's pretty boring to drink. The thing is when I started intentionally drinking the amount of water my body needed a whole lot of good things started happening. Now I can totally tell when I'm not hydrating with water enough during the day. Read to the end to find out how we upgrade water at our house. It has helped us drink more water and stay consistent.
Why do you want to drink water all day? Here are just a few of many reasons.
- Drinking Water Helps Maintain the Balance of Body Fluids.
- Water Can Help Control Calories.
- Water Helps Energize Muscles.
- Water Helps Keep Skin Looking Good.
- Water Helps Your Kidneys.
- Water Helps Maintain Normal Bowel Function.
What happened when I started drinking enough water daily? These are just a few that really stood out to me and when I don't drink enough I can tell.
- I started having more energy.
- I felt less bloated.
- My skin started looking more healthy.
- I didn't want to eat as much.
- My brain wasn't as foggy.
How much water should you be drinking each day?
According to the Mayo Clinic,
- About 15.5 cups (3.7 liters) of fluids a day for men
- About 11.5 cups (2.7 liters) of fluids a day for women
These recommendations cover fluids from water, other beverages and food. About 20% of daily fluid intake usually comes from food and the rest from drinks.
There is really no set amount because each person's day is different. You have to take into account exercise, overall health, environment and pregnancy or breast feeding. These all factor in to how much your body needs. You also get some water from fruits and vegetables as mentioned above. Plus water is not the only thing that contributes to your fluid intake. You can consume herbal teas and broths too.
So how can you tell if you are drinking enough:
- You rarely feel thirsty.
- Your urine is colorless or light yellow.
The best thing to do is start your day with a lukewarm glass of water. After going all night without fluids, you will get your body hydrated, quick start your metabolism and digestion. It also starts to cleanse out the body and make way for the good bacteria.
How can you upgrade your water to enjoy it and get more benefit?
- Infuse it with fruit, veggies or herbs...my favorite is cucumber/mint or raspberry/rosemary.
- Put Young Living Vitality Oils in it...I put a drop of lemon vitality in mine in the morning and a drop of peppermint vitality in the afternoon. This supports my body in many different ways, especially with digestion and my immune system.
- Add Young Living Vitality Drops...they are full of electrolytes without all the sugar for a flavored water that tastes yum.
What about cups that make you drink more water?
This is a thing at our house. Seriously, my kids have specific cups they like to drink out off and they will drink more water when they use these cups. I'll admit I'm like that too.
Also, we are likely to take a refillable bottle out with us to stay hydrated. This is the worst when you are out and about and you get thirsty. We learned our lesson too many times. Oh and when you put vitality oils in you water, you need to do it in glass or stainless steel. Here are some of our favorites:
What about water filteration:
This one became important to me when I learned what kinds of toxins and harmful chemicals were in our tap water. Just a few that stood out to me were lead, chlorine, mercury, arsenic and many others that I decided didn't need to be going into our bodies. There are many kits out there to test your water if you are not sure. We decided to go with a water filtration system to purify the water and we are very happy with it. We even have one for traveling. Check out the Berkey Water System for more info.
So, what about you? Do you have this water drinking thing down or do you want to work on it? What helps you drink more?
Come hang here with other mamas doing life together and learning how to take care of themselves.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. I do not recommend anything that is not in line with my values. The products I recommend we truly use and love.